Wednesday, January 18, 2012

{Wacky Wednesday} Photography Tips

Pin It

During Fall soccer, I ended up volunteering to take the individual and team photos for my son's team. Needless to say, I was under pressure for them to turn out well! One thing that really catches my eye for portrait style photography is having a small depth of field. This makes the subject really stand out and keeps the background from being a distraction. This can be achieved with manual settings if you have that kind of camera, or most point and shoot cameras have a portrait setting. Luckily I was taking photos outside so I was able to open my lens aperature as big as it would go and still get correct exposure with my shutter speed. The photo below is one that I took and the grass gets blurry in the distance, which is what I wanted.



A more extreme example is this flower photo that I took on a photo walk. I really just wanted to focus on the flower and not the greenery in the background. This was a f/4.5 and 1/40th shutter speed.



There are lots of technical explanations of depth of field and I don't pretend to understand it completely, but it is worth thinking about when taking photos and it's fun to play around with and see what different looks you can get!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment